Saturday, May 2, 2020

What's inside will come out under pressure

Someone once told me that life is like a toothpaste tube, what's inside will come out under pressure.
Everyone is feeling the pressure of covid-19 in one way or another, and what's coming out with the squeezing is not always pretty.
On social media there are many voices crying out for attention, people are responding to this time in so many different ways, from hoarding to generosity, from raging to kindness, from hating to loving, from self-focused to other-focused and everything in-between.
The truth is the way we respond to pressure will often be an indication as to what was inside of us all along.
The question we need to ask is "how am I coping? Do I like what's coming out of me under this pressure or should I be concerned?"
I have had to ask myself that question over and over during this time and have had to be honest with myself when I have not liked what I've seen.
"Pointing out the weeds in your neighbour's garden does not keep them out of your own", so the idea is not to criticize how others are coping but to rather look at how we can change the way we are coping.
A few days ago I had to go to our local supermarket for some supplies and saw a couple of people not wearing protective masks, I mentioned how bad this was to my wife and if I'm honest, so that the "culprits" could hear. My wife responded quietly by saying that I was being self-righteous. This did not go down well with me initially, but as I thought it over, I realised that she was right, I was being self-righteous and I did not like what I saw in me.
We will all cope differently, however we all have a responsibility to check our reactions, our attitudes and how we respond to the pressure.
In saying this, I cannot begin to imagine what so many are going through right now, millions are suddenly unemployed, thousands have lost loved ones to covid-19, there is a worldwide food crisis and all of us are facing an uncertain future. There are no easy fixes, no words that I can say that will make it all go away, however it is true that "this too shall pass" and how we live out our lives in this time will make all the difference in our own lives and to those around us.
So lets be honest with ourselves and change what we can and with God's help change what, in our own strength, we can't. Take it one step at a time going from strength to strength, and be kind to yourself in the process, we are all learning how to live out our lives under the pressure that's on us at this time.

Thank you for taking time to read this post, God's strength and Peace be with you and your loved ones in this difficult time. God Bless and keep safe.

I want to end with a portion of scripture where Jesus invites each of us to follow Him, and learn from Him, how to live freely and lightly. 
Matthew 11:28-30 from "The Message"


Matthew 11:28-30 The Message (MSG)

28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 2002, 2018 by Eugene H. Peterson


No comments: